Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Everything you need to know to get the most bling for your buck.
Hi, my name is Andy, and I got married a couple years ago. Which means I bought an engagement ring.
Leah Marie Photography / Via leahmariephotography.com
Figure out what kind of stone you need and consider diamond alternatives.
You’re gonna want to talk to your S.O. about this one. What kind of stone speaks to them? If they like colored stones like rubies or sapphires, then you’ll probably end up spending much less than you would on a diamond. Anything lab-created will likely be cheaper than mined (and almost definitely more ethical, too).
If they still want that diamond look but don’t care if it’s real or not, consider either moissanite (much cheaper than diamonds) or cubic zirconia (cheaper than pretty much anything). Moissanite is still a naturally occurring stone, though most are simulant (man-made), and are often even more sparkly than diamonds. CZ are simulant and usually don’t shine as brilliantly, but will still be plenty sparkly.
Sure, a moissanite or cubic zirconia won’t be quite the same as a diamond, but chances are 99% of the people who see the ring won’t know the difference.
But let’s say your partner is set on wanting a diamond. That’s OK! You can utilize a GIA report to try to get the biggest and best stone for your budget.
You’re going to want to make sure you get a GIA (Gemological Institute of America) report for your diamond, which will tell you all of its stats. There are other agencies that grade diamonds, but the GIA is generally considered to be the gold standard. So be sure to check who graded your diamond, because it might be from some shady organization, or the jeweler themselves!
When you start shopping for diamonds, you’re gonna hear a lot about the “Four Cs,” which are Color, Clarity, Cut, and Carat. The carat part is the weight of the diamond, i.e. how big it is. The other three will determine how your diamond will look. Cut is graded from Poor to Excellent/Ideal. Clarity is graded from Flawless to Included. Color is graded alphabetically, starting with D (colorless) to Z (light color).
If you care about size more than anything else, prioritize cut and clarity over color.
A perfect diamond would be D color, Flawless clarity, and Excellent cut, but a stone like that would cost you a fortune. To the naked eye, it’s very difficult to tell that a VS1 or VS2 diamond has any flaws in it…even an SI1 diamond might look perfect to the average person. So don’t go for FL, IF, or VVS clarities.
As for color, generally people want to stick between D and J. But if your diamond is, say, VS2 clarity and an Excellent cut, the brilliance of the cut and the high clarity will cover up the diamond’s color. The above photo compares H, J, and K color diamonds, and I don’t know about you, but I can’t tell the difference.
So if you’re looking for a real bargain, aim for a K color with higher marks in the other categories. There are whole communities of people who have K color diamonds and love them.
Consider a cluster of smaller diamonds, as opposed to a solitaire.
Smaller diamonds cost way less than bigger ones. Like, way, WAY less. So if you’re looking at solitaires (one big diamond on its own), it’s going to be expensive.
Getting a smaller center stone surrounded by other, smaller diamonds (usually called a halo or cluster style ring) will save a bunch of money, if your S.O. likes the style.
Fruit_cocktail / Getty Images
Instead of a one-carat diamond, try to get one that’s, say, 0.97 carats.
In most cases, you’ll see a noticeable difference in price between a diamond that’s 2 carats versus one that’s 1.7 carats. Diamonds are often priced in carat “brackets,” likely because people go looking for a stone that has a specific carat weight, so a stone that’s slightly lower is less desirable to those shoppers. However, a stone that’s only a small fraction of a carat lower will look pretty much the same size.
If you need to buy a solitaire with inclusions or K color, make it a round brilliant stone.
Generally, round brilliant-cut stones have the most sparkle because of the way they’re cut. So unless your S.O. is hell bent on getting an emerald cut or something, go with round. The more sparkle the stone has, the less you’ll notice any inclusions (flaws) or yellowish color.
Buckarooh / Getty Images
For lower prices, don’t buy from a big-name, chain store jeweler like you see at the mall.
You know the jewelers you always see commercials for around the holidays? They offer big brand names, but you have to pay the price for them. Same goes for department stores. So if the brand isn’t important to you, buy from a smaller, independent jeweler.
Kwangmoozaa / Getty Images
Check your local jeweler or a jeweler in your nearest big city.
For example, the “diamond district” in downtown Los Angeles has countless jewelers selling diamonds, and that local competition often means discount prices. Just make sure to do your research, shop around, check Yelp, and make sure you get a certified GIA report with your diamond!
If you do buy local, haggle!
It may or may not work, but depending on the seller you might be able to talk down the price a little bit. Even if that doesn’t work, the jeweler might offer a discount on your wedding bands if you buy those from them as well.
Check online. Yes, online, as in the internet!
Some online jewelers sell loose diamonds that can be put into a setting, and allow you to see actual, up-close photos and videos of the diamond you’re purchasing so you can truly comparison-shop in a way you can’t in a store. This is probably your best bet for the lowest prices if you don’t live close enough to a big city with a jewelry district.
Personally, I bought my wife’s engagement ring from James Allen, and although the thought of shipping something so expensive was terrifying, it worked out well for me. They allow you to send back the ring if you want anything changed, and I took advantage of that when I discovered I didn’t love the setting I chose as much as I thought I would.
Don’t overpay for your setting.
Platinum is a beautiful, durable metal. It is also really, really expensive. Gold is going to cost less and will still serve you well. If you’re on an incredibly tight budget, sterling silver and an alternative gemstone can give you a unique piece. However, bear in mind that people with sensitive skin or nickel allergies might need platinum, as it has no nickel and will have the least chance of irritating the skin. Figure out what metal works best for you, and don’t let yourself be upsold if you don’t need to be.
Brian1974 / Getty Images
Know the difference between conflict-free and other labels.
“Conflict-free” is probably the label that most people know when it comes to ethically sourced diamonds. However, conflict-free really only means that the diamond didn’t fund any side in a violent conflict, e.g. a civil war. You may have to do more digging to find out if the diamond was fully ethically sourced, meaning no child labor, no exploitative practices, and no environmentally damaging processes were used. Diamond Foundry — which is backed by Leonardo DiCaprio — uses ethical and environmentally friendly mining practices in the US, and offers pretty good prices.
If you’re not superstitious, buy used!
Sites like HaveYouSeenTheRing and IDoNowIDont have a marketplace of sellers trying to pawn off used engagement rings and wedding bands. The prices are usually set by the seller, so you’ll still have to comparison-shop in order to make sure you’re getting a good price. However, you’re probably aware that diamonds are a bit like cars, in that they lose most of their value right after you buy them new…so a used ring should be a great deal.
Remember that you don’t need to stick to any kind of tradition if you don’t want to.
The only thing that matters is what you and your S.O. want. Do you want a big ol’ sparkly diamond on a platinum setting? If your budget allows, you should do that! Are you both okay with a proposal that involves a ring made out of tin foil? Adorable, go for it! Don’t let what anyone else thinks a ring, proposal, or wedding should be change what you want.
Amazon Hot Products Daily List
A4 LED Light Box Tracer Ultra-Thin USB Powered Portable Dimmable Brightness LED Artcraft Tracing Light Pad Light Box for Artists Drawing Sketching Animation Designing Stencilling X-ray Viewing
$17.99 in stock
1 used from $ 16.19
- Eyesight-protected LED Technology: this super bright, flicker-free, evenly distributed illumination pad is ultra-thin and light weight, only 5mm which makes it portable everywhere. No radiation, No harm for eyes even long-hour working.
- Stepless adjusted: Long press the on/off button to adjust brightness. It can also remember the brightness next time you turn it on.
- Transparent Acrylic (Organic Glass) Surface: as glistening as a glass panel, the light emitted from the pad through the paper presents the images more clearly and makes tracing images more easily. The whole light pad dimension including black frame is L14.2" x W9.5" x H0.2". The visual work area is 12.2" x 8.2", same size of A4 paper.
- USB Powered, DC 5V, 3.2W: it supplies with a USB cable and can be plugged into any device with USB port, like computer, power bank or any 100/240V-50HZ power adapter(not included) that connects directly into a wall socket.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - At an affordable price, then simply and roughly a 30-Day 100% Satisfaction or Money Back Guarantee, and 60-Days return without a single question. Try this light box tracer risk free now
- It is super thin and the acrylic surface makes it feel like a glass panel - This Artcraft tracing light pad is a sleek light-up pad, the light from the pad through the paper clearly illuminates the images, which makes tracing images easy. - You can take it anywhere with you easily unlike a traditional light box - Dimmable, STEPLESS brightness, change the Illumination based on your need. - Amazingly slim, easy to operate, bright - Power supply by USB cable which mean easy to access to any USB port like computer, USB adaptor or even power bank, besides It is ultra-thin and light weight design, thus you can take it anywhere. Equiped with touch sensor allows the control become easier, turning on/off or adjusting the brightness, simply handling with slight touch - Eyesight-protected Technology： Thanks to advanced eyesight-protected technology, no more sore eyes after long-hour working. - It is perfect for multiple domains, such as 2D Animation, 5D Diamond Painting, Calligraphy,...
Twilight Zone Don Carter 3 3/4-Inch Figure In Color-Con.Excl
- Rare warehouse find! Only a few units available. Entertainment Earth Convention Exclusive!
- Retro-styled, 3 3/4-inch scale action figure celebrating The Twilight Zone episode 'Nick of Time.' Features 5 points of articulation and includes a Mystic Seer accessory. Limited edition and individually numbered - only 672 pieces!
- Bring Don Carter to life right before your eyes with our The Twilight Zone Don Carter 3 3/4-Inch Action Figure In Color - Convention Exclusive from Bif Bang Pow! . Designed similar to the action figures released in the '70s, this Don Carter retro-style action figure features 5 points of articulation (neck, shoulder, and hips) and includes a Mystic Seer accessory.
- This authentically detailed The Twilight Zone Don Carter 3 3/4-Inch Action Figure In Color - Convention Exclusive is crafted from plastic on a 3 3/4-inch scale. Plus as an Entertainment Earth Convention Exclusive, each limited edition series 4 action figure is individually numbered with a holographic sticker. Order yours today, and relive your favorite moments from this classic episode in your own home.
- Ages 14 and up. 'You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead.
Rare warehouse find! Only a few units available. Entertainment Earth Convention Exclusive! Retro-styled, 3 3/4-inch scale action figure celebrating The Twilight Zone episode 'Nick of Time.' Features 5 points of articulation and includes a Mystic Seer accessory. Limited edition and individually numbered - only 672 pieces! Bring Don Carter to life right before your eyes with our The Twilight Zone Don Carter 3 3/4-Inch Action Figure In Color - Convention Exclusive from Bif Bang Pow!. Designed similar to the action figures released in the '70s, this Don Carter retro-style action figure features 5 points of articulation (neck, shoulder, and hips) and includes a Mystic Seer accessory. This authentically detailed The Twilight Zone Don Carter 3 3/4-Inch Action Figure In Color - Convention Exclusive is crafted from plastic on a 3 3/4-inch scale. Plus as an Entertainment Earth Convention Exclusive, each limited edition series 4 action figure is individually numbered with a holographic...
Diamond Cutting Wire Double Healing Quilting - 1PCs
- 80% ORDERS ARRIVE WITHIN 9 - 12 BUSINESS DAYS:
- This item can be searched by below relevant keywords: 10m silver diamond cutting wire blade for jade metal marble diy tool
- X electroplated blade tool grit set slitting meter lot piecewheel engraving cutter sanding paper brush grinding shank drum wristband house around crafting project
- Wortool - pc set tile lamdoo zobeen goyonder granite disc r company these was spare pliers the packaging cutting they stock metal wire nail pin and necessary nut from steel plier center what that usa aren t available one don am offer when gone forever supply
- craft design inquiry you has responded hour unconditional something happen our re warranty
description:10m silver diamond cutting wire blade fits for jade metal marble diy cutting tool specification: type diamond cutting wire color silver material diamond diameter 25mm 35mm length 100cm breaking force n 25mm: >80 35mm: >160 weight 40gfeatures:- wire a manual multi-line diamond cutting machine supporting cutting supplies - usage: all kinds precious stones and other abrasive glass model high-precision cutting various fine cut gemstones package included:1x diamond cutting wire not included machine and other accessories more details: